The looming craze has finally hit RP!
At first I was adamant with the whole looming thing because I know that the looming kit is VERY expensive. Being the frugal mom that I am, I refused to be persuaded by any fads, so NO! and NO!
Then on May 9, I finally gave in and bought a starter kit (P35) and a few packs of looming bands, just to ‘test the waters’:
Generic Starter Kit (P35)
– mini loom
– S clips
– looming bands
– thick bands, best for single chain and fishtail
– designs are limited to single and fishtail only
Then on May 10, my brother gave us a cheaper version of the complete looming kit (P100), lower right:
DIY Looming Kit (P100)
– looming board
– mini loom
– S Clips
– 600 looming bands
– Cheaper option
– Looming board has sharp edges, unsafe for little hands and has the tendency to cut the bands
– Looming board loosens a bit over time, not good for complicated designs.
Then finally on May 11, Mother’s Day, my sister bought the original Rainbow Loom Kit for a whopping P979!
Rainbow Loom Kit (P979)
– Looming board
– mini loom
– 600+ Latex Free Rubber bands
– Rainbow Loom Hook
– 25 C Clips
– Every element in the pack is sturdy, you will see and feel QUALITY!
– The edges of the board are smooth
– Bands are latex-free
– They’re expensive! Kit starts at P979 and bands at P179 for each pack of 600 bands.
So what are the benefits of looming?
If there’s one tangible benefit I see on my kid, it’s the time away from her tablet. For that alone, I am thankful already 🙂 But there are more, much more important benefits that our kids will develop during looming time:
- Fine Motor Skills
- Patience and Persistence
- Following Directions
Fine Motor Skills – When kids put those bands together on a loom or on a hook, it fine tunes their fine-motor skills as it requires good fine-motor skills.
Patience and Persistence – These two go together. In order to come up with really good final products, the kid has to have patience and perseverance. Patience to put all those bands in the loom board, loom them, put colors together and perseverance to try again once they fail.
Visualization – The outcome, the pattern they see, the combination of colors – all of these teach the kids visualization, something useful when it comes to Math and art related subjects.
Following Directions – In making these loom bracelets, necklaces and what have yous, one has to learn to follow directions in Youtube videos to come up with designs, intricate or not. This skill is important especially in school-aged kids.
Creativity – Choosing the colors, patterns and elements to come up with a work of art develop your child’s creativity.
Self-esteem – Finishing a loom project boosts your child’s self-esteem. Do not forget to congratulate him or her after each project!
If you’re not into looming yet, I suggest you try this activity with your kids. It doesn’t have to be expensive because we do have cheaper options available in the market today.
The original Rainbow Loom is still the BEST so if you have the means, go for it!
To see more of our looming photos and output: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152208739899495.1073741883.728494494&type=1&l=8948be8a2a
Generic Starter Kits and DIY Looming Kit – Divisoria
Rainbow Loom Kit – Toy Kingdom
Latest posts by Mommy Iris (see all)
- PRESS RELEASE: UCC Creamy Caffe Latte – Authentic Coffee Experience in a Bottle - February 23, 2017
- PRESS RELEASE: Jolly Cow, Official Milk to the 2017 Philippine Coffee Championships - February 9, 2017
- Hey Moms, Here are Some Things You Can do When You’re Bored! - February 5, 2017