Our house, small as it may be are secured with high quality bolt locks. They make us feel safe and give us peace of mind whenever we are out. But just recently, our 8 year old front door bolt lock needed to be changed, somehow it loosened up a bit over time. It’s expensive, but really, consider it as an investment.
Our front door used to have a keyed bolt lock, the one that needed keys from the inside to lock it. This time we opted for an unkeyed one. For us, it’s safer and easier to open compared to the keyed one.
Going back, when do you need to change your locks?
Your doors are your first line of defense against intruders. And the only time that this defense would work if your doors have strong locks. However, sometimes these get compromised as well. Here are some situations wherein change of locks is needed:
- You just moved in. It is best to change your locks especially the main and back door locks as you as you move in because you can never tell who among the previous owner, inspectors, agents, and other personnel has a copy of your keys.
- You’ve lost your key. The one who found your keys will have access to your home. Any additional information attached to the key could give clues on where you reside providing potential danger to you and your family.
- Your lock is sub-standard or cheap. Do I need to explain this? DO NOT PURCHASE cheap locks!
- Your locks are YEARS old. Locks get worn out too. Wear and tear can be easily broken and picked.
- Someone has broken into your home. By all means change your locks. My sister in Stevenage, UK prefers fast keys when it comes to keys replacement.
Do not scrimp on locks. Choose a reliable brand all the time.