It was my first time to make Sugar Cookies since I am more of a cupcake person. I told Yona that she will get a chance to roll the dough and pipe the icing so she was overly excited to start it!
Sugar Cookies Recipe:
(makes 3 dozens)
3/4 cups butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
2. Beat in egg, lemon, vanilla extracts, and salt.
3. In low speed, beat in flour in two additions until blended.
4. Divide dough into two, shape into a disk and wrap in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll or about two hours.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees celcius.
2. Roll 1 piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Flatten in about 1/4″.
3. Cut-out desired shapes with cookie cutters and re-roll scraps.
4. Place the cut out dough 1 1/2″ apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cook on wire racks before decorating.
We chose to decorate our cookies with Royal Icing since its easy to make and do not require much ingredients. We ran out of pastry bags hence the funny-looking icing – daughter enjoyed doing it nonetheless 🙂
Royal Icing Recipe
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
Beat them all together until fluffy. Divide into portions and add desired color.
Baking is surely a fun way to bond with your kids! Our sugar cookies may look funny but its not hard and yes it’s yummy! Yona was so proud because she did the piping all by herself 🙂